Just realized I never posted pics of the big event. Which big event?
The getting running water in the house after a year and a half event!
Can’t believe I left you all out of that. I’m juggling so many projects and doing so many things that I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore.
So here is the before and after in one shot. Upper right looking out of window you can see our tiny garden sink in distance by fence. That is old location for washing dishes and brushing teeth etc.
Here is the new and improved sink. Perry testing it out after we undid everything and re-did the second time because of a leak.
“Wow! Look at you all civilized with running water!”
Since he has lugged a pan full of dishes out to the field to wash them on more than one occasion I can see why he would be about as happy for me as I was.
Complete with tile and everything. Used tiles that look like wood for the majority mostly because it meant less grout and because they were the EXACT size of the counter top and have a nice rustic look. Also they were cheap!
Used the Schluter Kerdi water proof membrane because I stumbled upon it in a local tile store. And the fellow who works there, Jerry, was so confident I could do it myself and was so encouraging that I figured it was meant to be. Yay Jerry! You were right. I almost have it done and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
Strange, but I found glass tiles at an incredibly cheap price from a liquidator that are the exact color of the Schlulter paper. Yep. Caltrans orange tile will make for a very perky, happy and warm shower experience. I was hoping for blue green but for $2..50 a sq foot for super thin lightweight glass tile – had to go orange. Good thing I like orange! Did I mention it was tile with paper on the front which made the whole thing incredibly difficult? You get what you pay for my mother used to say!
Here it is with the paper off. I’m still figuring out how to do the next step which is grout and sealing. Now that it’s 100 outside the garden shower is fine so got busy with chickens and bees and garden and left this project for a bit until I figure it out. It has running water hooked up just gotta make finish making it waterproof! Just so the shower wouldn’t be all orange on its own I got some old cabinet doors from dump and painted them to go under the couch. Much better than the curtain I had.
Re-did the closet door and forgot to tell you all about it. used shelving wood and bits and pieces of Indian trivets etc from thrift stores.
Opens and closes and looks much better than the last door I made. My carpentry skills are definitely improving.
What else have I left out? Oh, the other day the bees were freaking out and I went over to see what was up and there was this giant (by california standars, puny by Brazilian standards) beetle sitting on top of the hive. It was actually kind of pretty despite the creepy-way-bigger-than- a-bug-should-ever-be kinda thing going on.
The bees were definitely feeling threatened so Pacifico put it in a cup and took it down the hill. It probably beat him back up since apparently it had wings. Which I didn’t know or I would never have gotten so close to it.
It looks small here but I wasn’t about to put my hand in the shot for reference. It was about 1.5 “long with 2 ” antlers, horns, creepy tendrils.
So now you are up to date. Hope to have the other 200 things, on my list of projects to finish, done soon. Will keep you posted!